Sunday, June 19, 2005

Gimme a Break Would You!



I am free verse,
and know the rules,
and use them -
when they suit me,
which admittedly
tends not to be the case.
Authority,
tradition, laws;
very much not
my sort
of thing,
I fear.
Perhaps, on occasion,
I go too far in the opposite direction,
and shun the accepted merely because it's accepted,
accepting its opposite merely because it isn't;
but since it's clearly
better that than
being normal;
well,
why
not?
What Poetry Form Are You?


----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gee, and there I was thinking I might be a sonnet:

I am the sonnet, never quickly thrilled;
Not prone to overstated gushing praise
Nor yet to seething rants and anger, filled
With overstretched opinions to rephrase;
But on the other hand, not fond of fools,
And thus, not fond of people, on the whole;
And holding to the sound and useful rules,
Not those that seek unjustified control.
I'm balanced, measured, sensible (at least,
I think I am, and usually I'm right);
And when more ostentatious types have ceased,
I'm still around, and doing, still, alright.
In short, I'm calm and rational and stable -
Or, well, I am, as much as I am able
.


------------------------------------------------------------

Discovered this over at Patty Paine's Blog: Notes from Qatar .

7 comments:

Suzanne said...

I'm terza rima, and I talk and smile.
Where others lock their rhymes and thoughts away
I let mine out, and chatter all the while.

I'm rarely on my own - a wasted day
Is any day that's spent without a friend,
With nothing much to do or hear or say.

I like to be with people, and depend
On company for being entertained;
Which seems a good solution, in the end.

Nick said...

Suzanne, this description is very much as you appear to be on-line.

Suzanne said...

LOL!

Collin Kelley said...

I'm also terza rima...which is sooooooooooooo not true.

Nick said...

Come to think of it I would have settled for Heroic Couplet.

Peter said...

There is a lot of us Terza Rima's, eh? I wanted to be a Pantoum. (grin)

Nick said...

Still, it might have been worse, I might have been a cywydd llosgyrnog.