Sunday, May 06, 2007

Best of Bill Knott?

DEATH

Going to sleep, I cross my hands on my chest.
They will place my hands like this.
It will look as though I am flying into myself.


(POEM) (CHICAGO) (1967)

If you remember this poem after reading it
Please go to Lincoln Park the corner of Dickens Street and sit
On the bench there where M. and I kissed one night for a few minutes
It was wonderful even if you forget


FAITH

People who get downon their knees to me
are the answer to my prayers.


WRONG

I wish to be misunderstood;
that is,
to be understood from your perspective.


ESCAPE PLAN

I examine
my skin

searching for
the pore

with EXIT
over it


MINOR POEM

The only response
to a child's grave is
to lie down before it and play dead


GOODBYE

If you are still alive when you read this,
close your eyes. I am
under their lids, growing black.


--------------------------------------------
* poems are reprinted from Bill Knott's site and posted as "READERS' FAVORITES: THE BEST POEMS OF BILL KNOTT". He also notes: " You have my thanks to please download, cutpaste and post, reprint whatever you like from this, or from any page on this blog."

No comments: